Practice and Care Delivery Transformation Workgroup:
- Identify evidence to promote the value of optimized medication use for payors, consumers and providers.
- Develop tools to engage and educate key stakeholders (patient advocacy organizations, professional groups, physicians, caregivers, care teams, consumers, pharmacists, and employers) to gain support for a standardized definition and process for CMM.
- Further develop the essential structures and language of value-based agreements within CMM services.
- Offer guidance and use cases to key stakeholders on contract standards and the consistent practice of CMM in clinical care.
- Identify leadership and champions to ensure more rapid practice transformation nationwide.
Did you miss the November Call for Member Feedback? Watch the recordings here.
Executive Lead: Julie Groppi, Pharm.D., FASHP, National Program Manager, Clinical Pharmacy Practice, Policy and Standards, Clinical Pharmacy Practice Office (CPPO), Pharmacy Benefits Management (PBM) Service (10P4P), VA Central Office
Evidence-Based Resources Subgroup
Areas of Further Work:
- Develop a library of evidence-based resources to be used by a variety of stakeholders which allows team members & stakeholders to understand the value of CMM on the quadruple aim (improved patient experience, improved patient outcomes, reduce cost and improved clinician experience). These resources should be housed in the CMM implementation tool designed by the best practices subgroup and disseminated through that mechanism as well.
- Resource 1: Evidence for the clinician or practice either implementing CMM into practice or re-designing/strengthening their current CMM practice
- Resource 2: Foundational evidence needed for stakeholders (payors/health care leaders) to understand the value of CMM
- Based on evaluation, determine future needs/gaps for CMM research as well as needed tools based on evaluated library of evidence for each of the above aims and the role of GTMRx to close said gap.
- Evaluate the need for and feasibility of developing a summative review of currently available CMM literature focused on the quadruple aim of health care. If the need is present, establish a task force to author develop and write the review, working on behalf of the GTMRx Institute.
- Evaluate current evidence related to specific clinical metrics for medication optimization and team-based care that are centered around the quadruple aim and applicable to different stakeholder subgroups (e.g., patients and care givers, payers, health system leaders, providers and health care team members, patient advocacy and professional groups).
Lead: M. Shawn McFarland, Pharm.D., FCCP, BCACP, National Clinical Pharmacy Practice Program Manager, Clinical Practice Integration and Model Advancement, Clinical Pharmacy Practice Office, Pharmacy Benefits Management Services, Veterans Health Administration
Lead: Heather Ourth, Pharm.D., BCPS, BCGP, National Program Manager: Clinical Pharmacy Practice Program and Outcomes Assessment, Pharmacy Benefits Management Services 10P4P, Department of Veterans Affairs
- Lori Armistead, MA, Pharm.D., Senior Research Associate, Clinical Coordinator, Center for Med. Optimization, University of North Carolina
- Judith Jacobi, Pharm.D., FCCP, MCCM, BCCCP, Senior Consultant, Visante Inc.
- Mary Ann Kliethermes, Pharm.D., FAPhA, FCIOM, Director, Medication Safety and Quality, Office of Practice Advancement, ASHP
- David Angaran, MS, FCCP, FASHP, CEO, Communication Prescription, LLC
- Paul Bush, Pharm.D., MBA, BCPS, FASHP, Vice President, Global Resource Development and Consulting, ASHP
- Jimmi Hatton Kolpek, Pharm.D., FCCM, FCCP, FNAP, Professor, Pharmacy Practice & Science, University of Kentucky
- Ashley Yost, Pharm.D., BCPS, BCCCP, Clinical Pharmacy Specialist, Critical Care, Clinical Lead, Inpatient Clinical Pharmacy Services, Veterans Affairs Tennessee Valley Healthcare System
- Kevin Marvin, RPh, MS, FASHP, Kevin Marvin Consulting, LLC.
- Erica Crannage, Pharm.D., BCPS, BCACP, Associate Professor, Pharmacy Practice, St. Louis College of Pharmacy; Clinical Pharmacist, Mercy Clinic Family Medicine-Olive-Mason
- Shannon Finks, Pharm.D., FCCP, BCPS, BCCP, AHSCP-CHC, President, Züp Medical Services, LLC.; Professor, Clinical Pharmacy and Translational Science, University of Tennessee College of Pharmacy
- Brian Cross, Pharm.D., Director, Interprofessional Education & Research Programs, Academic Health Sciences Center, East Tennessee State University
- Christie Schumacher, Pharm.D., BCPS, BCACP, BCCP, BC-ADM, CDCES, FCCP, Professor, Pharmacy Practice and Director PGY2 Ambulatory Care Residency Program, Midwestern; Clinical Pharmacist, Advocate Medical Group
- Roshni P. Emmons, Pharm.D., BCPS, Associate Professor of Pharmacy Practice, Jefferson College of Pharmacy
- Craig Beavers, PharmD, FACC, FAHA, FCCP, BCCP, BCPS (AQ-Cardio), CACP, Cardiovascular Clinical Pharm. Specialist, University of Kentucky
- Lisa Smith, MD, FAPA, Medical Director, Outpatient Mental Health Service, Rocky Mountain Regional Medical Center
- Tanya Fabian, Pharm.D., Ph.D., BCPP, Director, Pharmacy Research and Pharmacy Services and Director, PGy2 Psychiatric Pharmacy Residency, UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital; Associate Professor of Pharmacy & Therapeutics and Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh Schools of Pharmacy and Medicine
- Jena Quinn, Pharm.D., BCPPS, Founder, Perfecting Peds
- Jennifer Riggins, Pharm.D., Technology and Partnership Strategist, phactMI
- Hannah Post, Pharm.D. Executive Fellowship in Association Leadership and Management, ASHP
Best Practices and Innovative Solutions Subgroup
Areas of Further Work:
- Develop evidence-based, medication optimization and CMM use cases, which describe patient-centered, team-based, CMM services; highlight the value-added role of CMM in optimizing medication use and improving care of patients.
- Develop a marketing strategy to disseminate these evidence-based use cases broadly to a variety of key stakeholders, including patients and care givers, payers, employers, and healthcare providers. Develop a design framework for best practices (e.g., precision medicine) and new care delivery models (e.g., telehealth or other virtual models) that incorporates CMM services provided by pharmacists as members of interprofessional teams.
- Disseminate a CMM implementation tool for clinical pharmacists to promote consistency and fidelity of CMM implementation into practice.
- Offer role delineation guidance to physicians and other members of the health care team to shape and inform integration of CMM into practice to ensure a consistent and standardized approach to the delivery of CMM.
- Offer tailored guidance to patients and care givers and employers (with their input and through their lens) regarding what they can expect from CMM delivery and integration into practice and the complementary and synergistic roles of all who care for the patient.
- Identify partners and a dissemination plan (practice leaders, professional organizations, consultants, and payers) to increase awareness, build demand for, and ensure adoption and use of successful strategies and standardized implementation processes for ensuring medication optimization.
- Define goals, responsibilities, and accountabilities of health system and care team leaders in the implementation, evaluation and expansion of CMM services.
Lead: Julie Groppi, Pharm.D., FASHP, National Program Manager, Clinical Pharmacy Practice, Policy and Standards, Clinical Pharmacy Practice Office (CPPO), Pharmacy Benefits Management (PBM) Service (10P4P), VA Central Office
- Jaclyn Boyle, Pharm.D., MS, MBA, BCACP, BCPS, Associate Professor of Pharmacy Practice and Assistant Dean, Student Success, Department of Pharmacy Practice, Northeast Ohio Medical University
- Kim Kelly, Pharm.D., BCPS, FCCP, CDTC, CPC, CE, President, Kelly Diabetes Associates, LLC
- Allyson Schlichte, Pharm.D., MBA, BCACP, Medication Therapy Management Operations Lead and Provider at Fairview Health Services, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Christie Schumacher, Pharm.D., BCPS, BCACP, BCCP, BC-ADM, CDCES, FCCP, Professor, Pharmacy Practice and Director PGY2 Ambulatory Care Residency Program, Midwestern University Chicago College of Pharmacy; Clinical Pharmacist, Advocate Medical Group
- Erica Dobson, Pharm.D., BCPS-AQ ID, Manager, Pharmacy Services, Accountable Health Partners
- Kyleigh Gould, Pharm.D., BCACP, Associate Chief of Clinical Pharmacy Services, Kansas City VA Medical Center
- Lindsey Hall, Pharm.D., BCACP, Director of Clinical Programs, Design and Strategy, Medication Management Solutions, Genoa Healthcare
- Gretchen Brummel, Pharm.D., BCPS, Pharmacy Executive Director, Center for Pharmacy Practice Excellence, Vizient
- Nathan Painter, Pharm.D., CDCES, FADCES, Diabetes Care and Education Specialist, UC San Diego Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Science
- Kenneth Johnson, Pharm.D., Senior Vice President, Clinical and Nonclinical Development, Regulatory, Quality and Medical Affairs, Xeris Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Melanie A. Dodd, Pharm.D., Ph.C., BCPS, FASHP, Associate Dean for Clinical Affairs and Associate Professor of Pharmacy in Geriatrics, College of Pharmacy, The University of New Mexico
- Lara Kerwin, Pharm.D., BCACP, Clinical Pharmacy Specialist; BJC Medical Group
- Randy McDonough, Pharm.D., MS, CGP, BCPS, FAPhA, Co-Owner, Towncrest Pharmacy
- Daniel Rehrauer, Pharm.D., Senior Manager, Medication Therapy Management Program and Community Pharmacy Partnerships, HealthPartners
- Michelle Patterson, Pharm.D., BCACP, Ambulatory Pharmacist Clinician, Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health
- Erick Sokn, Pharm.D., MS, Director, Population Health/Transplant, Pharmacy, Cleveland Clinic
- Amanda C. Hansen, Pharm.D., MHA, FACHE, FASHP, Senior Director of Pharmacy, Cleveland Clinic
- Terry Seaton, Pharm.D., FCCP, BCPS, Professor, Department of Pharmacy Practice, University of Health Sciences and Pharmacy in St. Louis; Clinical Pharmacist, Mercy Clinic
- Kelly C. Rogers, Pharm.D., BCCP, FCCP, FACC, Professor of Clinical Pharmacy and Translational Science, University of Tennessee College of Pharmacy
- Gregory Downing, DO, Ph.D., Founder, Innovation Horizons, LLC
- Dianne Davis, MPH, Vice President, Community Wellness Department, Partners in Care Foundation
- Zarah Mayewski, Pharm.D., BCPPS, Vice President, Clinical Services, Cureatr
- Gabrielle Pierce, Pharm.D., MBA, Executive Fellowship in Association Leadership and Management, ASHP
Full WG Support:
- Marissa Brooks, cand. Pharm.D./MBA, Executive Fellowship in Association Leadership and Management, ASHP